How to Pitch to a Fashion Magazine in 2023
By: Lauryn Jiles
Are you a freelance writer looking to gain more experience? Ever wondered how writers manage to get published in huge mastheads like Essence, Teen Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, ELLE, and other well-known fashion publications? While it may seem complicated, getting published in reputable magazines is more simple than some may think.
So if you’re looking for a side hustle, then pitching to and writing for publications is a great option! Here’s how to successfully pitch a fashion magazine in 2023:
How to pitch to a fashion magazine in 2023
Contact the right editor
Don’t just contact any editor for your pitch. Doing your research to find the right point of contact is crucial. For example, if you’re pitching a beauty article, contact the beauty editor at the publication.
Finding the right contact info: To find the right editor to pitch, look up the publication’s masthead. If the masthead does not list the editor’s names and/or work emails, check the company page on Linkedin and search for editors. Many editors also include their email in their social media bios, but remember to never contact an editor via Direct Message, only email.
Editor emails for major fashion publications
- For Conde Nast publications (Vogue, Teen Vogue, Glamour, Allure, etc.), editor emails are usually firstname_lastname @ condenast.com.
- For Hearst publications (Harper’s Bazaar, ELLE, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, Seventeen, etc.) editor emails are usually firstname.lastname @ hearst.com.
- For Essence, editor email formats are usually first initial and last name. Ex: jdoe @ essence.com.
- For Madame Blue, email madameblueco @ gmail.com to pitch an article for publication.
Keep your pitch short and sweet
Research before you pitch: Make sure you understand the magazine’s tone, style, and target audience. This will help you tailor your pitch to fit their needs.
Tailor your messaging: Different publications require different articles. Some focus more on trends, while others may focus more on fashion news or celebrity style. Take some time to read the articles on each publication’s website to familiarize yourself with their content and get an idea of what to pitch.
What to include in your pitch:
Editors don’t have the time to read multiple paragraphs, so keep your pitches short and to the point. Your email should include the following:
- Introduce yourself and give a brief description of your article idea and what makes it unique.
- Some publications have guidelines they require writers to follow, so it’s best not to send them an entire article until your pitch has been approved.
- You can include a few photos in your email if you want to give the editor a visual perspective of your pitch.
- Make sure you are addressing the editor by their name. (Ex: Dear Mr. or Mrs. Last Name).
- Double-check spelling, grammar, and the name of the editor and publication before hitting send.
- Sign off with “Sincerely, your name” at the end of the email.
- You can choose to attach or link to a writing sample at the end of your email in case the editor wants to view your work.
Oftentimes, editors’ inboxes are flooded with pitches and their own work assignments, so they may miss your original email. After a few days of no response, send them a follow-up asking if they received your email and reiterate why you think your pitch would be great for the publication. We suggest only following up once or twice.
What to do if your pitch is rejected
Last but not least, do not get discouraged if your pitch is rejected. You will probably hear many no’s before receiving a yes. If your pitch is rejected, consider taking the following steps:
- Respond to the editor thanking them for getting back to you.
- If you get rejected by one publication, try pitching that same idea to another one.
- Stay positive, come up with more pitches, and don’t give up!
Perseverance is key
In 2023, fashion magazines are looking for unique stories that their audiences can connect with. By tailoring your approach and following the steps outlined in this article, you can increase your chances of success. Remember, perseverance is key to getting your articles noticed in the competitive fashion industry.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.